Domaci Gallery to feature local photographer/author
ROGERS CITY Domaci Gallery will host a reception for its featured artist, James L. Hopp, a local photographer and writer. The event will take place this Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. at the gallery, located at 169 N. Third in downtown Rogers City.
The reception will feature some of Hopp’s photographs of locations around Rogers City and Presque Isle County. A retired Rogers City High School teacher, Hopp also will be signing copies of his latest local history book, “Jewel by the ‘Sweet Water Sea’ – A History of Rogers City, Michigan.”
Hopp’s lastest book is the history of a northeastern Michigan wilderness that evolved from muddy swamps and majestic tall trees into a charming, small town, nestled along the shores of Lake Huron. The book describes the town of Rogers City, whose firm work ethic, strong religious beliefs and dedication to family traditions inspired generations.
Highlights of “Jewel by the ‘Sweet Water Sea’ – A History of Rogers City, Michigan” include:
- The history of Crawford’s Quarry, the precursor to the establishment of Rogers City
- Trap nets, cross-cut saws and limestone carriers fishing, lumbering and limestone heritage
- The story of “Little Italy,” a small community just outside the gate at Calcite
- Rogers City’s role in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam War, Iraq and Afghanistan
- Sensational local murders and mysteries
- Triumphs and tragedies state champions and maritime disasters (Carl D. Bradley and Cedarville shipwrecks)
Domaci Gallery is a gallery of fine art and contemporary craft. For more information on this upcoming event, call 734-3035 or visit www.domaciartgallery.com.