Alpena qualifies one, RC two for wrestling state finals
OXFORD-Alpena’s RJ Centala qualified for the Division 1 state finals on his final try, finishing 4th in the 140-pound weight class during a regional in Oxford on Saturday.
Centala lost his first match by pin in 5:32 against Utica Eisenhower’s Connor McDill, but rebounded in his next two bouts to end up in the third place match. He won his second match by technical fall and won his next match 9-6 over Port Huron’s Ivan Nedeljkovic. Nedeljkovic had previously beaten Centala last week during an individual district.
The third-place match pitted Centala in a rematch with McDill and he got the better of Centala again, winning 14-5 by major decision.
Centala advances to the state finals at the Palace of Auburn Hills on Feb.27-March 1.
Felix Suszek (215) lost his opening-round match by pin in 1:03 and lost his next match by pin in 2:35.
Austin Hawks (285) lost his opening-round match by 7-5 decision and dropped his next bout 7-0.
Rogers City qualifies 2 for state finals
ROGERS CITY-Andrew Selke won the 215-pound weight class and Jake Sobeck earned a return trip to the state finals as Rogers City qualified a pair of wrestlers for the individual state finals during a Division 4 regional at home on Saturday.
Selke pinned Leroy Pine River’s Dom Garcia in 3:06 to win his weight class. He had earned wins over Mancelona’s Tristan Waters (6-0 decision) and Mio’s Colton McGregor (5-1 decision) to advance to the finals.
He and Sobeck will wrestle at the Division 4 finals at the Palace of Auburn Hills Feb.27-March 1.
Sobeck fell by 14-3 major decision to Hesperia’s Chase Siersma in the championship match. Sobeck had previously beaten Hart’s Brady Tate by pin in 1:02 in his opening match and Whittemore-Prescott’s Dakotah Findlay by pin in 1:51 in his second bout.
Rogers City wasn’t the only local team with regional success on Saturday. Onaway’s Joe Traynham (112) and Casey Watson (189) won their respective weight classes and Isaac Nave was second at 119.
Other results for Rogers City included:
- Tommy Vogelheim (103) lost his opening match and earned two byes to increase his chances at advancing to the third place match. He fell in his final bout by pin in 1:46.
- Noah Sobeck (135) won his opening-round match 10-6, but lost his next match by pin in 1:51. Sobeck moved to the consolation bracket and lost his final match 4-0.
- Jack Ryan (145) was pinned in 35 seconds in his opening match and lost by technical fall in his final match.
- Austin Bober (152) lost a close 9-6 decision against Mio’s Scott Blamer in his first match and lost in overtime 9-5 in his second match.
- Jared LaFleche (171) lost his first match by pin in 5:32. He won his second match 6-4 and lost his final match in a 9-0 major decision.
- Justin Saile was pinned in 1:07 in his first match and won his second match 7-4. He lost his final match by pin in 1:35.
- Cam Urban (130) lost his first match by pin in 1:38. He won his second match with a pin in 21 seconds, but lost his final match in a 14-4 major decision.
- Blamer finished 4th at 152 to qualify for the finals for the Thunderbolts and was one of three Mio wrestlers to qualify. McGregor was third at 215 and Patrick Stephens was third at 103.