Editorial: Now is time to prepare for winter
A quick look at the calendar shows it’s October and with the weather being as nice as it has been, it’s easy to forget this is northern Michigan and winter can arrive suddenly and with little warning. Have you prepared your house for winter?
Now is the time to start your winter prep to make sure your house is as winterized as you want it. While you are putting away the patio furniture and raking leaves, you might want to look at the rest of the house to make sure it is as ready as possible.
We offer a small checklist that is far from complete:
* make sure your walls and attic are properly insulated
* change the filters on your furnace
* be sure to check your chimney and flue
* make sure your doors and windows are caulked and/or weather stripped
* cover windows with plastic from the inside
* remove any hoses attached to outside spigots
* insulate any outside water lines
Those these are just a few helpful hints we hope help you get ready for winter. Remember this is the time to prepare your house for winter. You don’t want to get caught trying to do these after the first snow of the year.