Silva’s four goals lead Oscoda past Tigers

LINCOLN-In spite of taking a quick 2-0 lead off the shots of Trenton Lavergne, the Alcona soccer team fell 5-4 against the Oscoda Owls on Monday, mostly off the offensive strength of Eduardo “Eddie” Silva, who picked up four goals for his team.

Lavergne picked up his first goal three minutes into the game and his second just under 10 minutes later. Oscoda struggled offensively early in the match, while the Tigers came out hard and fast.

“We started slow, but we picked it up, especially Eddie and Eric Dennis,” Oscoda coach Gary Schneider said.

Lavergne, one of the Tigers’ top scorers, picked up a yellow card for a rough behind-the-back strike with 27:55 left. He was pulled from the match for 10 minutes. A minute after Lavergne left, Silva kicked in the first of his goals from about 20 yards back.

By the time Lavergne came back in the game, Alcona had scored another goal off a corner-throw-in by Jared Steiner. Steiner threw the ball towards the goal and in the clustered confusion near the goal, the ball bounced in off an Oscoda defender.

Alcona’s third goal gave the Tigers a convincing 3-1 lead, with only 13:35 left to play in the first half. However, a rolling ground shot by Oscoda’s Brandon Bissonette slipped through the waiting hands of Alcona keeper Chase Matthews, to narrow Tigers’ lead to 3-2.

Offense ground to a standstill for both teams for 10 minutes, as both defenses became more active. Lavergne hit a header towards the goal that just missed, while Jesse Collins missed a near open net shot with just under five minutes left in the half.

With 3:48 left, Silva slipped his second goal past Matthews for a 3-3 tie Alcona pumped up its offensive and defensive attack, but Brandon Smigelski blocked a little too strongly against an attacker with about a minute and a half left, and drew a red card. A red card meant he was taken out for the rest of the game.

Silva took the penalty shot with a minute left in the half. He got it past Matthews, and gave Oscoda the lead, 4-3, at the half.

The Tigers came out fast in the second half, with a Jeff Schram goal off a Steiner assist. The 4-4 tie seemed to get Alcona working harder, as its defenders started shutting down the Owls’ offense.

Alcona almost scored again off a rapid fire shot exchange between Steiner and Schram, that just wouldn’t drop in for a goal.

Silva scored his last goal of the night about 15 minutes later for what proved to be the game-winner.

The Alcona offense tried to ignite after the Owl’s last goal, including an impressive Lavergne pass to a Steiner shot that should have dropped in, but it couldn’t get it done.

“We shouldn’t have lost that game,” Alcona coach Tim Munro said.

Alcona is now 6-7, while Oscoda is 10-3. Alcona hosts Whittemore-Prescott on Wednesday, while Oscoda travels to Tawas.

Eric Benac can be reached via email at or by phone at 358-5690. Follow Eric on Twitter @EricBenac.