Hillman principal leaving at end of school year
HILLMAN – Hillman Community Schools Board of Education accepted the resignation of junior/senior high school Principal Michael Leskowich at its meeting on Monday night. Leskowich will be staying through the end of the school year and moving to his new position in Illinois later this summer.
“I appreciate the growing you’ve done with us,” President Brad McLaren said. “You did an outstanding job.”
The Hillman Education Foundation presented the school board with two grant checks for the school. The first check of $350 was for Erin Brege’s Spanish class to travel to El Rancho in Gaylord for an authentic Spanish dining experience. The students will have to speak and understand proficient Spanish and order their meals in Spanish.
“This is really a great experience for the students,” Brege said. “The restaurant is family oriented and this opportunity gives students the chance to speak and interact in Spanish with people who are fluent in the language. We’ve had great success with it in the past and the students really enjoy it.”
The second grant was $2,000 for the music program. This money will go toward refurbishing some of the instruments for students for better performance quality.
“The (Hillman Education Foundation) has always seemed to step forward when we’ve needed additional funding,” Superintendent Shawn Olson said.
Leskowich agreed, praising the teachers for their hard work.
“Our teachers are really doing great things for the school by writing grants for their programs,” Leskowich said.
The board also addressed Olson’s evaluation, approving her as “Effective” on the rating scale.
In other business:
* Eric Muszynski resigned as the seventh grade girls basketball coach;
* John Kuzewski resigned as the eighth grade girls basketball coach;
* Alissa Miller resigned as the football cheerleading coach;
* general fund expenditures of $222,575.49 were approved with $90,059.22 in accounts payable and $168,867.59 of prepaid as presented;
* debt in the amount of $487,905.13 was approved;
* the next meeting will be May 13 at 7 p.m.