Fire dept. puts out chicken coop fire

BISMARCK TOWNSHIP – Several chickens were killed in a chicken coop fire in Bismarck Township Friday evening, according to a release from the Rogers City Area Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to a Quinn Creek Highway address between Ward Branch Road and County Road 451 shortly before 5 p.m. after a family member discovered the fire, Chief Michael Kroll said in the release. The chicken coop’s owners weren’t home, and the family member had come over to feed the animals. The coop had burned to the ground, and firefighters drowned any remaining hot spots.

About six to nine chickens were killed in the fire, Kroll stated in the release. The cause is believed to be electrical.

“Check all electrical heaters and extension cords for frayed ends and replace them if they are questionable,” he said.